Have you noticed that more and more, the nation is going green... where are you at on the topic?
Seems whatever our situation, there's something we can do. Just thought this might be a nice place to say what little shifts you might have begun to make (or were already doing) to help our little planet. Also, please put down any tips you may have for good books, websites, ways to conserve, mulch, buy organic more affordably, burn less energy, etc. etc...<

6 comments:
I changed every light bulb that I could in the house to one of those swirly energy saving bulbs. They look like a diary queen, lol. They cost a little more up front (they've gotten cheaper too), but last longer and pay for themselves.
I also unplug my phone charger when I'm done and my blowdrier, etc. I guess that these kind of power plugs that we leave in the wall continue to suck energy.
I recycle -- Got some nice big stackable bins (for my tiny kitchen) for each kind of recyclable and do haul it to a local center, as they don't pick up where I live... but I feel so good EVERY TIME I do it. Not only do I feel I'm doing my part for the space I take up on the planet and the products I consume, I get hope from seeing how many other people who are there, making the effort too.
Good topic, Syndey. My husband has been green before it was popular. We had a solar water heater in the early 80s that lasted 20 years. We will go back to that soon. We've also recycled for years and we have a compost bin. I have to admit I wasn't the biggest supporter of all of this when he first started, but now I "get it" and try harder to join in.
I do plan my errands carefully so I have minimal driving to do. I have a water bottle I refill at work all day and we have mostly native plants in our yard.
I bought a couple of those Target bags and use them for stuff when I go to the store. I have one that I keep in my car for those trips to the yarn store or the book store.
That's all I can think of right now. It does feel good to know I'm doing my part and it's wonderful to see so many people joining in for the fight to save our planet!
I must confess, I probably don't do enough but just haven't taken the time to research it enough to know what I could be doing....
The things I do are- my light bulbs are the DQ kinds that save energy and last forever(it seems). I recycle alot and have just gotten a bigger recycling bin from our refuse center. In our area glass, aluminum, plastic, newspaper, and other paper products can all go in one bin. The bin is picked up curbside every other week with our garbage.
I monitor my driving and keep my car maintained so it is fuel efficient.
I've always unplugged appliances but more because I was worried about an electrical fire starting.
I'm not as "green concious" as Julia Roberts but better than nothing!
I don't do anything but recycle aluminum. We have no pick ups here of any kind except garbage.
I have heard that the only things that use electricity when plugged in but turned off are appliances with LCD light of some sort. Like TVs, cable or satelite boxes, coffee pots with timer, etc. I have not researched this though.
I forgot, I also have bought about 8 reusable bags after a long time of at least asking for paper over plastic. I am amazed for all the talk about how plastic bags take 1000 years to decompose how kids at the store still obliviously use 100 of them for your 10 items at the store. That's my other beef. Why use one bag for 2 items... they make the bags so light that I was coming home from Target with as little as two items per bag... and they put things I could more easily carry without a bag, like handled jugs of Tide, INTO a DOUBLE bag!
Yes, I forgot to take them a few times, even when they were in the car with me! It took me no time to develop the habit. Now when I unload I smush them all back into one and hang it on the front door knob so when I grab my keys and purse, I grab them and take them back to the car on my next trip, so they'll be there when ever I need them.
Donna in AL -- Last year was a woman on Oprah who was married to the Curb your enthusiasm guy who's a big green gal... she is the one who told us 5 easy things to do and the light bulbs and the phone charger/hair drier plugs idea came from there. I assume some suck more energy than others. The chargers make sense to me, they are different than a coffee pot plug...
Nana, I used to pull those when going on a long trip to avoid fire too, because my mother used to do it. I think they cords they've developed now prevent that more?
Great gift idea for the person who has everything but loves nature.... You can order up trees to be planted in their name at: http://www.americanforests.org/planttrees/
I think it's $1.00 a tree, and you can choose the location or let it go where in the world planting is needed. YOu get a tax write off and the person gets a certificate that X amount of trees were planted in their name.
Post a Comment